Express Entry is an online system that is used by the Canadian Immigration Department (Immigration, Refugees, Citizenship Canada -IRCC) to manage applications for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program, Canadian Experience Class and certain Provincial Nominee Programs.
IRCC uses the Express Entry online system to create a pool of candidates who may be eligible to immigrate to Canada permanently.
Things to do before you can create an online Express Entry Profile:
- Find out if you are eligible to apply under one of three main Canadian immigration programs- Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program and the Canadian Experience Class ;
- Take an approved language test; IELTS (General Training option) or CELPIP (General test);
- Get your foreign degree assessed by World Education Services(WES) or by one of these designated organisations;
- know your National Occupational Classification (NOC) job title and code; and
- Have your passport ready.
Now you are ready to calculate your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Score. The CRS is a points-based system that is used to assess, score and rank candidates in the Express Entry pool. IRCC selects the highest-ranking candidates from the Express Entry pool and invites them to apply for permanent residence (roughly every two weeks).
- Use this official IRCC’s CRS calculator tool to calculate your score.
- Check your CRS score against the latest rounds of invitations by IRCC.
- If your CRS score is more than the latest rounds of invitations, you have a very good chance of getting an invitation to apply. So, go ahead and create your Express Entry online profile.
- If your CRS score is 20 or more points less than the latest rounds of invitations, consider taking your language test again to increase your CRS score. Getting a better score on your language test is the quickest and cheapest way to increase your CRS score.
Express Entry profile is valid only for 12 months, after which time it will automatically expire. You can create another new profile. But before you create your new profile, understand why you were not invited. If your CRS score was very low, take steps to increase your CRS score- eg. Re-take your language test, explore options to study in Canada, get more work experience etc.
If you are selected among the highest- ranking Express Entry pool of candidates, IRCC will send you an invitation to apply for permanent residence. You will get a notification in your online profile account. You have 60 days to complete your online permanent residence application together with the required documents.
If you have any questions concerning Federal Skilled Worker Program, contact us for a consultation.